Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reactions

I think the most helpful advice I have read so far is this:  When you tell friends or family about your plans to adopt, give them time.  It took a good amount of time for us to come to this decision, and it will take about as much time for friends and family to understand your decision.  It's a lot to just blurt out at someone and expect them to say, oh wonderful!
I have gotten a good variety of reactions from people when I share with them our plans to adopt.  Some reactions were difficult to understand, some were expected, while others were a complete surprise.  A couple of times, I felt disappointed because I was expecting the person to be so happy for us.  We are so full of excitement and joy knowing that God has chosen to bless us with this precious little girl who just happens to live across the world.  When we tell someone and they just stare with a blank expression, it's like having your birthday balloon popped right before the party.
Each reaction from each person is a part of this beautiful story and I guess, I'm glad that each person has reacted so differently.  It certainly makes for a much more interesting story.

in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment